September 5: International Day of Charity
The following Community Service Organizations are supported by Fort Lauderdale Chapter Neighborhood Groups. Contact the Neighborhood Group Leader for details on making contributions.
Stockings for the Troops-
The Hollywood Group is working on Stockings for the Troops. Deadline for Delivery to the Red Cross is October 15th. Pattern provide by the group.
American Red Cross South Florida Region
335 SW 27th Ave., Miami, Fl. 33135
Contact: Jaime Cruz
Broward Meals on Wheels
451 State Road 7, Plantation, Fl. 33319
Contact: Marlene Gray
Hollywood and Plantation Neighborhood Groups make placemats for their Thanksgiving Holiday Drive.
Robert and Carol Weissman Cancer Center
501 E. Osceola St., Stuart, FL 34994
Stuart Neighborhood Group provides knit and cotton hats for people who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy.
Ryan’s Case for Smiles
Contact: Marilyn Degler 561-308-6300.
North Palm Beach Neighborhood Group provides whimsical pillowcases to children in hospitals that give them an emotional boost.
A domestic abuse shelter in Palm Beach County sponsored by the YWCA
1016 N. Dixie Highway, West Palm Beach, FL 33401
Contact Melissa Wiley
North Palm Beach Neighborhood Group provides dresses for newborn babies to teen sizes; T-Shirt and short sets for all
ages, Filled Christmas Stocking; Filled Tote Bags for the Moms; Lap and twin sized quilts.
Tri County Animal Rescue
21287 Boca Rio Road, Boca Raton , Fl. 33433
Contact: Suzi Goldsmith, Co-Founder & Executive Director
Boca Neighborhood Group provides dog and cat beds and dog collars.
West Palm Beach VA Medical Center
Boca Neighborhood Group sews baby receiving blankets, bibs, hats (sewn and crocheted), burp cloths, pillows and
stuffed animals. The group also donate purchased items for both infants and mothers.
Members: If you have a favorite Community organization for which you fulfill a sewing need, tell us about the
organization and how we can help. Contact Status Thimble at [email protected].
- For information about sewing fabric masks to donate to healthcare facilities, please visit WeNeedMasks.org
- September is National Sewing Month and that brings the opportunity to interact with the community. We offer sewing classes in various locations in our area.
- Give Kids the World Village is a non-profit resort that provides cost-free, week-long vacations to children with life-threatening illnesses and their families. Approximately 21,000 Wish pillows are given away each year to visiting children. You can view the video on constructing these pillows here.
- We sew covers for IV bags so children in the hospital won’t be so intimidated by the procedure. Click here for IV Bag Cover instructions.
- Chemo caps are for cancer patients to cover their heads while their hair grows back. These are attractive as well as adding warmth. Click here for chemo cap instructions.
- One of our favorite projects is sewing pillowcases for children. For video directions on how to make a burrito-style pillowcase, visit: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases/video/roll-it-up-video.html
- Click here for Anti-Ouch Pouch instructions. These pouches aid women who have had mastectomies.
A central part of our organization is contributing to the surrounding community. We make quilts and stuffed animals for needy children, chemo caps for cancer patients, walker and wheelchair bags for nursing homes, tote bags and pillowcases for foster children, wherever the need may be.